Thursday, September 6, 2007

old Family Recipe - Tacos

I love food and love to eat and one of my favorite childhood memories is pigging out on my mothers wonderful tacos. The family taco recipe originated with my great-grandmother and we believe she obtained the recipe from her housekeeper when she lived in Arizona many-many years ago.

Even though I love to eat I'm not much of a cook. I believe this is because both my grandmothers and mother were such great cooks anytime I ever cooked anything it just didn't quite taste the same. Well, the other night I decided to cook for my mom. She had foot surgery a couple of weeks ago and can't get around very well, so I thought it was my turn to cook for her. We hadn't had her tacos forever and I was craving them, so I decided to whip up a batch. They turned out great and tasted so good!! Most people probably haven't had tacos like this so I decided to place the recipe here on my blog. Enjoy!!!

Ingredients:
3 large tomatoes
1/2 large onion
oregano
salt
1/2 head of lettuce
grated cheese (I buy the pre-grated 4 cheese blend)
1 pkg of 24 corn tortillas (our family usually eats 3 to 4 tacos a piece)
2 cans sliced black olives
1 pkg of hamburger
coconut oil

Prepare ingredients for tacos. Dice tomatoes and place in a bowl. Chop onion and place in bowl with tomatoes. Add oregano and salt to taste. Mix together. Makes a salsa for the tacos. Chop up the lettuce small enough to add to tacos. If you didn't purchase pre-grated cheese then grate the cheese.

Fry the tacos. Heat coconut oil about 1/8" in a large frying pan. Take a small handful of hamburger and squish it on half of a corn tortilla so the tortilla can still be folded in half. Do not fold tortilla until you are ready to place in the frying pan because they tear easily. When ready to fry, hold each edge of the tortilla and place the middle where the tortilla will crease in the oil until it folds easily. Then sit the taco in the oil on one side to cook. Use tongs to flip the taco to the other side to finish cooking. Remove taco from the frying pan and place in a large rectangle baking dish lined with paper towels. Do this for each taco.

Filling tacos. Once all tacos are fried, fill each taco with tomato salsa mixed earlier, lettuce, cheese and olives. You can add hot taco sauce also. Yummy! Now I'm hungry :)

Enjoy the tacos! We sure did.

3 comments:

dkgoodman said...

mmmmmm, tacos. Sounds delicious.

Unknown said...

That sounds good!

Pierus said...

Okay now I am hungry!