Friday, September 21, 2007

endangered Century Farm

I grew up on my families 500 acre (formerly 2500 acre before I was born) ranch in Roseburg Oregon, Laurel Crest Ranch. Some of my best memories are driving cattle with my grandad, having grand adventures with all of my cousins and eating my grandmothers fried venison, mashed potatoes, pies and cinnamon rolls. I feel I was one of the luckiest kids on the planet to have the experience of growing up on the family ranch. All of my experiences are ingrained in my soul and help make me who I am today.

The family ranch is now down to about 20 acres give or take. My grandmother still lives there and so does my father and my aunt and uncle, but all of the livestock and the acreage are gone. The ranch has sadly been replaced by development over the years. Taxes and the cost of running the ranch for my family just didn't make sense anymore, so over the years they sold pieces of the ranch. Now you'll find large large parcels with houses, subdivisions, a movie theater, banks, businesses, a retirement home, and a mall all where I used to ride my horse with my cousins and have picnics in large green fields under the maple trees.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against development. It's just sad for me because of all of the great memories I have. The ranch is just not the ranch anymore. I would have loved for my daughter to have experienced the family ranch like I did.

I read an article this morning in the Bend Bulletin, "This rancher and his farm earn a distinction – by staying home". It made me reminisce about my own families ranch and how much I miss it. The story was about the Reads 2300 acre ranch that has been in their family for over 100 years and how they are trying to keep it in the family. The "Century Farm" is becoming very rare in our nation today and in fact the Read Ranch is the only "Century Farm" left in the Central Oregon region. I recommend reading the article. It is a great American story and I hope the Reads are able to keep their farm in their family.

No comments: