Friday, September 14, 2007

blazers Deja Vu

Wow, Greg Oden will miss most of his rookie season with the Portland Trail Blazers due to a knee injury. I was shocked and very disappointed yesterday when I heard the news. Read the SI.com article. Not only for the Blazers and the fans, but for Greg Oden. He seems like a great guy and the Blazers really needed a player and leader like him after enduring years of the selfish Jail-Blazers.

Does this sound like Deja Vu? I remember the Sam Bowie fiasco back in 1984 when the Blazers passed on Michael Jordan to take Sam Bowie who ended up being injured most of his short uninspiring career? Are the Blazers cursed? Could this happen again with Greg Oden? I was so excited when I heard the Blazers won the draft lottery and were going to select Oden. I saw him lead Ohio State to the NCAA championship last year and he was amazing. I initially thought the Blazers made the correct choice selecting Oden over Kevin Durant. Now I think everyone is second guessing that decision.

It sounds like the microfracture knee injury Oden has is very difficult to recover from. The upside though is that there have been players that recovered successfully from it, one being Phoenix center Amare Stoudemire. I hope for the best for Greg Oden and and the Blazers. Oden is young and can hopefully recover and lead the Blazers back to the playoffs. I guess only time will tell.

No comments: