Thursday, August 30, 2007

mt. Bachelor’s Price Increases

I'm going to date myself here, but I've been skiing at Mt. Bachelor since 1977. Back then an adult day ticket was $12 and a child day ticket was $9. I consider Mt. Bachelor home and I am happy I'm able to give my 7 year old daughter the same skiing opportunities I had growing up on my home mountain.

I’ve got to say though that I’m extremely disappointed with the season pass price increases. First of all what’s up with a youth's 10-day pass costing more than a youth season pass? Just curious! Also $929, for an adult season pass if you buy before Oct 1st, even after the sharp decline in customer service on the mountain over the past couple of years.
Since Powder Corp. took ownership a few years back the quality of Mt Bachelor has been in steep decline. The brand new lifts break down frequently; the ticket turn-stiles don’t function half of the time; the lift attendants don’t pay close enough attention to safety; the food is horrible (an expensive hamburger that tastes like cardboard and is put together with the cheapest quality ingredients Mt. Bachelor can buy); the runs aren’t groomed at the level they were during Mt. Bachelor’s great days; and finally the parking lot is not plowed when you arrive in the morning to ski.
Maybe I was just spoiled all of those grand years skiing on a great, well maintained mountain BPC (before Powder Corp.). I just find it interesting that Mt. Bachelor is asking us to fork over even more money when we continue to see declines in the quality of Mt. Bachelor’s services. They have not proved to me that by increasing their fees they are going to increase our customer service. So far it has proved to be the opposite.
Because I still love skiing and I want to see if Matt Janney will be able to return Mt Bachelor’s great image and high quality services, I will be paying the increased fees for season passes for my daughter and me. I know Matt Janney remembers the good old days and wants Mt. Bachelor to be a high class skiing destination. I guess all I can do at this point is have faith that he can do that.
Mt Bachelor 2007-2008 Season Pass Prices

Related Bend Bulletin articles:
A history in Bend, a future at Bachelor
Mt. Bachelor raises its prices

As a side note, does anyone remember the warm homemade donuts Mt Bachelor used to provide at the main lodge? I think Matt Janney should bring them back :)

2 comments:

dkgoodman said...

"The Steep Decline of Mt. Bachelor"

Now there's a headline for you. :)

Unknown said...

I'm glad both of my teenagers plan to work up there again, because otherwise I'd have to win the lottery to afford to let them snowboard.